Herring salad in layers by
Source: book, page 71
A mild tasting herring salad. Tastes much better than the simple herring with onion.
- herring in oil: 4-6 fillets
- onion: 3 big
- potatoes boiled in skin: 6 medium
- hardboiled eggs: 3
- parsley or dill: 1 tbsp (heaped)
- sour cream: 1 glass
- mayonnaise: 1 glass
- yoghurt: 0.5 of glass
1. Mix cream, mayonnaise and yoghurt. Whip it to make the sauce fluffy.
2. Cut herrings and chop onions finely.
3. In the bottom of a big glass bowl lay half of the herring.
4. Cover it with half of onions.
5. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
6. Put 1/5 of sauce.
7. Grate half of the potatoes over the bowl. Use fork to level them.
8. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
9. Put 1/5 of sauce.
10. Lay rest of the herring.
11. Put 1/5 of sauce.
12. Cover it with the rest of onions.
13. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
14. Put 1/5 of sauce.
15. Grate rest of the potatoes over the bowl. Use fork to level them.
16. Grate eggs over the bowl. Use fork to level them.
17. Put rest of the sauce.
18. Cover and keep in cool place for 3-4 hours.
19. Sprinkle with parsley / dill before serving.